May 27, 2020 Update: The Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority is continuing to monitor the latest COVID-19 developments and is taking precautions to keep our workplace safe for staff, visitors and partners across the watershed.
All conservation areas are open to hiking as of May 22, 2020. Please note that Millennium Conservation Area is now a one-way trail: head right upon entry to the trailhead.
Your patience, cooperation and support is appreciated during this time. Please continue to visit our website for updates. Stay safe.
Garden Hill Conservation Area
Located in the Municipality of Port Hope (formerly Hope Township) on Ganaraska Road 9, this 53 acres (21.4 ha) of land was the first conservation area owned and managed by Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority, and was acquired on June 3, 1956. This site offers a beautiful pond, where you can spot many different species of birds and other wildlife and is a great place for a picnic.
Garden Hill CA is closed from mid-October through to May.
While visiting, please respect neighbouring private properties and stay on GRCA Conservation Area land.
Please report any illegal dumping: 1-866-293-8379
How to get to Garden Hill CA:
From Port Hope:
- Travel west on Highway 401 and exit at Welcome
- Travel north on County Road 10 for 10.5 km to Ganaraska Road 9
- Travel west for 1.6 km
- Travel east on Highway 401 to Highway 115/35 North
- Travel 16 km to Kirby
- Turn right at Kirby onto Ganaraska Road 9
- Travel east 12 km to village of Garden Hill
- Conservation Area is located on the left (north side of road) before main intersection