Cross-country skiing is fun, invigorating and a great form of exercise for the whole family. The Ganaraska Forest is an ideal location to take part in this outdoor activity; offering some of the most picturesque, groomed cross-country ski trails in Ontario. Venture out from the Ganaraska Forest Centre onto more than 35 kilometres of groomed and track-set trails meandering through pine and hardwood forest, challenging skiers of varying ability levels. There are also two snowshoe trails to enjoy – one at 2.5 kilometres and a longer one at 8 kilometres.
If you haven¡¦t been on those skis or shoes in a while, or are thinking of sprucing up your skills, then come out on January 21st for the GRCA’s Family Cross-Country Ski and Snowshoe Day. The Ganaraska Forest is beautiful in the depth of winter, especially on a pair of skis! Receive an introductory lesson and then go on a guided ski through the central forest. After you participate in the program, why not give snowshoeing a try?! Pre-registration and payment ($25.00 – includes equipment) for one of two fun-filled sessions is required by calling 905.885.8173.
Tips to get the most out of your day:
- Ski within your ability
- Check ski trail conditions before starting out by calling or stopping in at the Ganaraska Forest Centre (905.797.2721 or 10585 Cold Springs Camp Road, Campbellcroft ON)
- Dress in layers / wear a hat
- Ski with a buddy
- Do warm-up stretches before skiing
- Don’t ski when tired or start out after 3 p.m.
- Carry a small pack with the following:
- Extra clothing
- Snack and water bottle
- Trail map and compass
- Duct tape and other supplies for quick repairs
- Ski waxes, cork, scraper
Know the skier¡¦s responsibility code:
- Ski in the indicated direction and observe all signs
- Don’t litter; pack up all garbage
- Don’t block the trail. Move off the trail if you fall or want to take a break
- Yield the track to faster skiers or skiers calling “Track”
- Don’t bring dogs on the trails
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing are both wonderful ways to get a cardiovascular workout while enjoying nature in winter. Following all of these useful tips will ensure that you have an enjoyable ski!